Tuesday, August 18, 2015

On Death and Dying

I couldn’t help but notice, while doing final page proofs of Light, my current preoccupation with death.
Death is my stock in trade. I’ve been a horror writer for more than a quarter century, and my Instruments of Death series of police procedurals examines the manner and means of death in graphic detail. So do my other novels and most of my short stories.

Death stalks us all every day of our lives. Death is the Great Mystery.

I began to explore death itself in the Winds-series of supernatural suspense novels that starts with Abandoned.

Abandoned was published last March by Eldritch Press. Darkness appeared in June from 2AM Publications. Light is scheduled to see print in September and Winds will come out at the end of October. Time will debut in March of 2016. Mysterious Ways and Daughters of Nyx will be out next summer. These are all stand-alone novels with some recurring characters I’ve learned to love. Each novel is around 120,000 words. That’s nearly a million words devoted to the themes of death, dying, and rebirth.


2 comments:

  1. "Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night...." Dylan Thomas Paul Dale Anderson, you have miles to go before you sleep, and many thousands of wise words that will continue to fork lightning, and joyous smiles that bring light and life to me. That said, I understand anyone's need to think about the subject of death, and I will never put you down for it. I've been criticized many times for being "obsessed with death." Everyone has the right to their own thoughts and musings regarding the transitions of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul: I have 486 FB friends and as of last week, 19 belong to dead people. All but one to cancer, all but two were writers.

    We don't have a preoccupation, we have an OCCUPATION. We will never die, our words will live, so even in death we shall continue as writers.

    ReplyDelete